As parents we want to teach our children to be responsible and hard working. We’ve come up with several appropriate chores for your little ones that are tailored to their age, something they would enjoy and that would truly help us parents out!
At this age toddlers are learning through other’s actions and will find that helping their parents or siblings with something is exciting!
- Have them organize their toys. As they are already familiar with their placements, putting them back into their boxes or bins will be easily understood.
- Fill up the pet’s dish with kibble
- Gather their laundry! Ask them to bring all the clothing they wore this week to the laundry room. To make it easier, encourage them to put their clothes in the laundry basket after each day.
Preschooler’s wanting to do what the ‘big kids’ are doing, will still feel the same satisfaction of receiving a chore. They are now most likely doing their previous tasks without supervision or help. And now that they are a bit older, they’ll be able to take on tasks with a bit of extra instruction.
- Make their beds
- Help set the table
- Dust with a cloth (you could even just put old socks over their hands!)
- Put items away after meals
Now that they’ve entered primary school they can start learning more complex tasks both physically and mentally.
- Load the dishwasher
- Wipe down counters and sinks
- Change sheets
As they enter middle school and may be in their ‘too cool for mom’ phase, possibly getting them to do their chores could be difficult. We’ve all been there! It’s just a reminder to be patient and find something that they enjoy doing.
- Wash Dishes
- Take out trash
- Walk the dog
- Pack lunches
- Fold and put away laundry
- Wash the car
By the time they reach high school they can do nearly any household chore. This period of time is important as it will set them up for success when they leave the home. Chore charts are a great way to hold accountability without having to remind.
- Mow the law
- Fridge cleaning
- Clean kitchen appliances
- Clean bathroom fixtures
- Iron clothing
- Window Cleaning